Dash examples why solution is needed -- can we find a solution to bug #820895

nick rundy nrundy at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:05:56 UTC 2012

This bug that I reported is a great example of why Ubuntu needs to be able to log internet connections by application/process and find a way to give users control over outbound internet connections: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unity-lens-video/+bug/939140

The Dash Video Lens is connecting to the internet basically by default without regard to active filters. This is a major problem for users who want to control internet connection behavior for privacy reasons or for mobile broadband usage limit reasons.

On Ubuntu, users do not have the same control that Windows & Mac provide over Applications' ability to connect to the internet. Ubuntu users should be able to exert this control over the applications on their computer. They should also have an easy way to discover or be apprised of the internet connections that occur on their computer.