Lucid -> Precise trouble with do-release-upgrade

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Sun Feb 12 08:18:45 UTC 2012

When I try to upgrade (a copy of) my main system from Lucid to Precise
with the command "do-release-upgrade -d", I get the following message:

| Could not calculate the upgrade
|
| An unresolvable problem occurred while calculating the upgrade:
| E:Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be
| caused by held packages.
|
| This can be caused by:
| * Upgrading to a pre-release version of Ubuntu
| * Running the current pre-release version of Ubuntu
| * Unofficial software packages not provided by Ubuntu
|
| If none of this applies, then please report this bug using the
| command 'ubuntu-bug update-manager' in a terminal.

Well, I do have packages installed which were not provided by Ubuntu and
I tried to upgrade to a pre-release version. Does it really mean I
should not report the problem? After all I found a workaround for this
situation by removing some packages which were installed from the Ubuntu
repos. Here is a summary of the workaround:

1. I had installed the package "gcj-jdk" including dependencies.
Removing these packages let the upgrade continue without the error
message above.

2. However the upgrade stopped after a few packages were installed with
a failure message concerning the package "lib32asound2". After also
removing the packages which depended on this package (ia32libs, wine1.2,
etc.) from a fresh copy of the system, I could successfully run the
upgrade.

3. After the first reboot, I got the error message "Could not start D-
Bus. Can you call qdbus?" like it is mentioned at [1] (this is a Kubuntu
system btw). After manually installing the package "qdbus", the system
worked.

Please advise if and what I should report at launchpad.

Nils

[1] <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/qt4-x11/+bug/876936>