Installing 12.04 on non-pae hardware

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 11 15:05:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 05:44:35PM +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
> It was decided not to drop the non-pae kernel flavour until 12.10,
> so that non-pae computers would still be supported for five years.
>
> I happen to have one of these, I use it on a daily basis for IRC and
> a few other things. So now I want to test 12.04 on that laptop, but
> when I try to boot the daily live-CD, I get an error saying that my
> CPU is missing the pae feature.
>
> How can I install 12.04 on my non-pae kernel when I can't boot the
> installer? Am I missing something?

The best you can do at this point is to do a network install.  You can
boot that from this CD image:

  http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/precise/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/non-pae/mini.iso

I've just arranged for that to be linked from the index at
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/precise/ so that it's slightly more
visible.

Of course, you can always upgrade from a previous release too.