The cloud directory name "Ubuntu One" has a space in it....

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 27 14:24:10 UTC 2012

On 26 December 2012 19:04, Paul Smith <paul at mad-scientist.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-12-26 at 18:09 +0200, Dmitrijs Ledkovs wrote:
>> On 26 December 2012 16:52, Fredrik Öhrström <oehrstroem at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > this causes problems when I try to use the directory for my source code
>> > projects that use make or when I put configuration files for dosemu in there,
>> > or a thousand other situations, when spaces in directory names cause
>> > problems....
>>
>> Exactly what is broken? It's 2012 surely software must be able to deal
>> with " " in file names / paths.
>> Maybe we can fix the broken piece instead?
>
> The "make" program, as defined by POSIX and implemented by every UNIX
> system since the 1970's, cannot support pathnames containing whitespace.
> The format of makefiles is fundamentally word-based with whitespace
> separators and there is no syntax supporting escaping of special
> characters.
>
> Changing this is quite a significant amount of work (it's not just
> introducing an escape character: make uses a "lazy evaluation" scheme
> for its makefiles which means all the internals of the implementation
> would need to change as well, not just the front-end makefile parser),
> and would violate standards and force makefiles to be non-portable to
> any other implementation of "make".
>
> I'm not taking any position on what the cloud directory name for "Ubuntu
> One" should be.  I'm just stating facts related to using "make".

Sure, but why would one put makefile projects into Ubuntu One folder?
With no real conflict resolution (e.g. like in bzr or git) & I am not
sure if timestamps are preserved. Also uploading and downloading
binary objects doesn't quite make sense to me either (above implies
that make is run & stuff is compiled).

Use bzr?!

Regards,

Dmitrijs.