Possibility to add "Create Launcher" to right click context-menu in Nautilus

Rodney Dawes rodney.dawes at canonical.com
Wed Dec 5 22:15:18 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-06 at 07:10 +1000, Kieran Grant wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I am currently using Ubuntu 12.04.1, so I don't know if this is
> something that was worked on in Ubuntu 12.10 or is in the planning stage
> for Ubuntu 13.04, but I am wondering if it's possible for something to
> be done about the lack of ability to right click on the desktop (or any
> folder in nautilus) and create a new launcher, this is only a usability
> problem.

You say this is a usability problem, but what evidence of that is there?
It used to exist, sure, but it doesn't mean that it needs to be there,
or that people need to be able to create launchers in random locations
on their file system. Why would anyone need to do this? Complaints about
usability or such really need to be backed up by objective data that can
show how having something will be better for a majority of users, and
how the feature would have an impact on all users.

> I know about gnome-desktop-item-edit /home/<user>/Desktop --create-new,
> but that isn't user friendly, I know I use to be able to do this in
> older versions of Ubuntu (back when GNOME was in use, at least I thought
> I could...), but for some reason this has been removed.

This was removed from upstream Nautilus, as they started to pare down
the feature set there.