Are UI developers all left handed?

Conscious User conscioususer at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 13:37:50 UTC 2012

Em 08-08-2012 12:01, John Moser escreveu:
> Why do UI designers insist on designing interfaces for left handed people?

I'm late to the discussion but would like to give my two cents.

There seems to be a fundamental flaw in the main argument of this
thread: it considers what happens when you reach out for the mouse,
but most of the times you don't have to reach out for the mouse:
your hand is already there.

As David Klasinc pointed out, once your hand is already there, you
only make subtle movements, you don't row a boat.

So the point only seems mostly relevant in two situations: when the
person has just arrived on the computer and when the person was
typing. The first case does not seem to be statistically significant.
The second is valid, but prioritizing it seems strange since a very
common argument against Unity and Shell is "ZOMG YOU ARE
FORCING ME TO TYPE AND TYPING IS FOR NERDY GEEKY DORKS
AND NORMAL PEOPLE NEVER TYPE ANYTHING, EVER EVER EVER".

So while I can't give strong physical arguments in favor of left (and
I'd guess that the history behind this choice has more to do with
LTR reading than anything physical), I don't think your arguments
in favor of right are strong, either.