why is there no mention of the word "Linux" on the ubuntu.com frontpage?

Dylan McCall dylanmccall at gmail.com
Thu May 5 18:11:05 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 10:48 AM, Martin Owens <doctormo at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm more chaffed by the lack of 'Free Software' or 'Free and Open
> Source' on the homepage. That shows a lack of support more than
> including the word 'Linux' there.
>
> Martin,

There is, actually, a block of text that mentions it:
“Ubuntu is, and always will be, absolutely free. Created by the best
open-source experts from all over the world, Ubuntu is available in 24
languages and ready for download today.”

I, for one, find the word “experts” maybe a little troublesome. Of
course, the people who work on Ubuntu are brilliant, but just using
that word makes the development community — and free software in
general — sound a little exclusive. Like you have to be an expert to
be involved. The whole thing sounds a little corporatey to me, really.
It's a trope that conjurs an image of thousands of nameless employees
working for a big machine that happens to have lots of offices.

--
Dylan

PS: While we're talking about the website, the dots in the carousel
are still backwards compared to the animation. The problem is the
float:right in “#u1104 .consumer-page .ubuntu-homepage .all-feats a,
#u1104 .consumer-page .ubuntu-homepage .how-free a”. That rule is
catching the dots by accident, when it really only wants to catch the
“Take a closer look” link. You must go deeper :)