why is there no mention of the word "Linux" on the ubuntu.com frontpage?

Martin Owens doctormo at gmail.com
Thu May 5 17:48:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 19:35 +0200, Igor Kolar wrote:
> This might not seem like a big issue, bug given Ubuntu's commitment to
> open source it's at least a bit strange. I would appreciate some
> background on when this happened, any why.

Because Ubuntu isn't Linux and Linux isn't an operating system. Linux is
a kernel. You'll note the lack of 'Gnome', 'Xorg' and 'PulseAudio' too
on the front page.

Because 'Linux' is a toxic brand in the desktop space. Anything that can
convince users that what we have here isn't Linux, the better. Otherwise
we face resistance from people who tried redhat 6 back in 1999 and
didn't like it and think we offer the same.

I'm more chaffed by the lack of 'Free Software' or 'Free and Open
Source' on the homepage. That shows a lack of support more than
including the word 'Linux' there.

Martin,