Pulseaudio dependency, if Debian can do it ...

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Jun 24 17:08:40 UTC 2011

On 2011-06-24 13:26, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 06/24/2011 01:08 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A group of (professional) Linuxaudio users prefer to have a system
>> without Pulseaudio. How nice Pulseaudio can be for 'consumer audio', it
>> can be a pain on a professional audio system.

Whenever you have such pains, please file a bug for it, preferrable with
a very concrete example. While I might not have time to fix everything,
I do want to work for making Pulseaudio less painful to use, in use
cases including professional audio systems.

>> That's why some people
>> prefer to stick with just ALSA and JACK. On most systems this is not a
>> problem at all, like Fedora and even on Debian, but on Ubuntu it is.
>>
>> This raises the question why ubuntu-desktop has Pulseaudio integrated in
>> such a way that almost the whole desktop system seems to depend on it.
>> There isn't a good way to remove Pulseaudio from Ubuntu! This is very
>> ugly and not a good way to handle things in the Linux world.

As Daniel said, GNOME upstream has integrated Pulseaudio heavily. You
might have more success trying another variant (e g xubuntu to see if
removing Pulseaudio is easier there, or perhaps not even present, I
don't remember).

>> Why? If you can remove pulseaudio easily on Debian, why is it so
>> freaking hard on Ubuntu? What is the best place to report this major bug?

If you just want to stop Pulseaudio from running, that's simple:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Audio/StopPulseaudio

If that gives worse user experience, compared to removing Pulseaudio in
Debian, let me know.

> Ah it looks I am not the only one who really is getting sick of this!
> Since the introduction of Pulseaudio in Ubuntu you guys (sound / desktop
> related devs) got plenty of feedback from the community, but you are
> doing still the worst job in the Linux world, even while Debian provides
> you with a good example! The PA main developer himself curses Ubuntu
> (ok.. it has been a while ..) Argggg!!!
>
> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pa-in-ubuntu.html

That particular complaint has since long been sorted out, except
possibly for flat volumes, which is still turned off.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
http://launchpad.net/~diwic