Very odd issue, dead spots on screen

Christopher James Halse Rogers raof at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 11 05:53:57 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-10 at 22:04 -0400, John Moser wrote:
> I can't click links or pictures or highlight text...
>
> so I unmaximize Chrome, move it, and then click it.
>
> Can't highlight in any other app either ... it's that rectangle of the
> screen, it's like there's an invisible window overlayed and I can't
> click or right click through it.
>
> I don't know how to diagnose this.

If you run “xwinprop -all” from a terminal and click on the dead area of
the screen you'll probably find there's an InputOnly window, probably
also with the OverrideRedirect flag set.  If you're lucky it will have
set _NET_WM_PID so you'll be able to work out the pid, and hence
program, which owns it.

This can sometimes be caused by compiz stacking bugs.  It's generally
not an X issue; the server is just doing what's been asked of it.

Chris