Congrats on 11.04

John Moser john.r.moser at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 01:11:10 UTC 2011

By contrast, I am struggling to get rid of this horrible Unity thing and get
Gnome Shell.

Ubuntu is pulling a Microsoft by using its clout to push a product and kill
another; they can make Unity default, but they've actively removed Gnome
Shell to the tune of ...well the PPAs all say "THIS CAN BREAK YOUR
SYSTEM!!!" Scariness.

So the lesson here is that rather than see Ubuntu users go to Gnome Shell,
they're making them leave, which is higher impedence and so the number of
users who will migrate off Ubuntu is a subset of those who would instal
Gnome Shell.  Another subset is people like me who now have 80% of the
desktop environment coming out of a PPA.

The Gnome developers are also upset at Canonical.  No idea why.