Newcomer interested in taking on project to add colors to apt-get/apt-cache

Daniel da Silva ddasilva at umd.edu
Wed Sep 15 14:00:43 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm a newcomer to the Ubuntu Development community, but long time linux
user. I am interested in starting a patch to add colored output to the
apt-get/apt-cache (are there any other apt-*s?)[see bug link in footnote].
Gentoo, for example, does this very nicely with their emerge tool. I was
wondering if anyone could answer some questions:

1) Should patches for apt be submitted to Ubuntu or Debian?
2) Are there any *must read* docs you suggest I read before I get started?
3) How likely do you think it is that this patch would get accepted?

Thanks,

Daniel

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+source/apt/+bug/262227