resize2fs on ext4 save yet?

Alexander Peganz a.peganz at gmail.com
Sun May 30 13:23:12 UTC 2010

Hello,

I just ordered a bunch of new hard disks for my mdadm-raid (they didn't
arive yet). I'm using ext4 with extents and flex_bg as a file system on
the md-device. This weekend I read up on how to grow my array and the fs
and came across some reports claiming resize2fs is not save to use with
ext4. As I currently don't have the capacity to back up the contents of
my raid this is a grave concern to me.

Basically I just want to know if there still are known bugs in resize2fs
in lucid server that can cause data loss on online grow and - in case
there are - if offline grow is save and - in case that isn't either - if
there is some kind of workaround for the bugs.

Sorry to have to take up your valueable time, but neither google nor the
changelog could definitly answer these questions.

Thanks for your help,
Alexander Peganz