Removal of PulseAudio from Ubuntu

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com
Thu May 6 01:44:24 UTC 2010

On 6 May 2010 02:31, Ryan Oram <ryan at infinityos.net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Dmitrijs Ledkovs
> <dmitrij.ledkov at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>> Generalisation..... I know plenty of people who play games and do not
>> know how to edit *plain* text files.
>
> In order to get most emulators (which at this point sadly are what

what is an emulator? i play games on facebook & xbox.

> people are going to be using to play games) and native games to work

yofrankie works fine so does skype here.

> on Ubuntu, you have to remove PulseAudio, install aoss and, if the
> emulator/games uses SDL, libsdl1.2debian-oss as SDL seems to have
> timing problems with ALSA (especially with games made using the
> Allegro library/toolkit).
>
> It is broken to the point that the OpenSonic FAQ recommends that you
> remove PulseAudio when installing.
> http://opensnc.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FAQ#The_game_has_no_sound.21_.28Linux.29

you lost me at installing "emulator" i play games & listen music in my kitchen.

>> I don't know how to configure Linux to do that. I use the PA sliders.
>> Thanks to avahi I was able to stream music to my kitchen without
>> editing any textfiles.
>>
>> I would not be able to do this without PA.
>
> Is your average user is going to be streaming audio to his kitchen?

In US & Canada a lot of people do.

> I think Ubuntu should be focusing on getting its audio system to work
> out of the box for common usage situations. Playing native games and
> emulators is much more common usage situation then Bluetooth headsets
> (hell I gave mine up as it was much more of a pain on any OS then a
> corded/RF headset) and streaming audio to another computer.

We got streaming audio & bluetooth audio for free. I don't see any
"emulators" in ubuntu main so I don't understand why should it be a
focus for ubuntu. As for games the default set of games & more
advanced like yofrankie work fine.

> Less common situations can be addressed by FAQs and documentation.

For me "emulators" is a niche situation. And so is for all of my
hosemates and family. Only a few of us are gamers and they use xbox.

> Chances are if a user wants to stream audio to his kitchen or use a
> bluetooth headset, he will be looking online for documentation and
> help anyways.

On Mac & Windows streaming audio and using bluetooth headsets is dead
simple using manufacturer cd (which everyone installs) and using
iTunes for streaming.

Why should one look up documentation & help on Ubuntu when it's
painlessly done on a Mac?

How *easy* is it to setup "emulators" on windows?

> A user will not expect to have to configure his audio system to play
> games. He will expect it to work by default.

Default games work.

You have operating system already. Work on, it make it unique, profit.