Upstart (now, a very modest suggestion)

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 5 18:27:52 UTC 2010

So, I'm testing samba on a Lucid alpha 3, and I decide to restart the
smbd daemon:

sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
sudo: /etc/init.d/samba: command not found

Oops, I guess it's a service now?

sudo service samba restart
samba: unrecognized service

So of course it only took a little digging to discover that smbd and
nmbd are now services started separately, and that (bizarrely) there is
now a winbind daemon which is still started from /etc/init.d, but
nevertheless a bit unnerving. (And why and since when has winbind been a
separate daemon, anyway?! But I digress.)

During the transition from Debianized Sys V Init to Upstart, how
difficult would it be to keep the comfortable old /etc/init.d scripts in
place, but so that these scripts simply tell command line users
something like:

pgoetz at data:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart

    The samba daemons are now started individually as services:  try
    service smbd restart
    and/or
    service nmbd restart
    Oh, and note that winbindd is now a separate process -- happy debugging!

Again, some people, possibly myself, are old, feeble-minded, and
distracted with lots of problems that go beyond the function of basic
linux server services, hence discomfited when start/stop/restart
commands that have worked for 10 years are suddenly missing with no
explanation of how to proceed in the new world order.