Is Ubuntu commited to free software?

Danny Piccirillo danny.piccirillo at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 9 16:57:55 UTC 2010

Of course it is! At least according to our philosophy:
http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/our-philosophy

Still, many people don't think that Ubuntu is truly committed to free
software in practice. These people can and should be our allies. Their
concerns are valid, and they are not difficult to appease. I'd like to
present a short list of simple ways that Ubuntu could show it's commitment:

1. Offer ways to easily purge all non-free software from one's system.
 * This would require supporting the linux libre kernel (it doesn't have to
be by default, but the option should be available)
2. Make a point of saying why and how non-free software was bad, but also
why the option is given to install it
 * This would need to be shown every time Ubuntu recommends proprietary
software like restricted drivers

That's it!

--
.danny