Integrate "Apt-linker" into all Ubuntu Browsers

Ryan Oram ryanoram at trentu.ca
Mon Jul 12 10:08:49 UTC 2010

Greasemonkey script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/47591
Firefox extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11731/
Chromium extension:
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/oljmaangfgmmokjpnojhfblppgeijikp

I was just wondering if it would be possible to integrate the
functionality presented in the extensions and Greasemonkey script
above into the standard Firefox, Chromium, and Empathy packages for
Ubuntu. I suppose this also could be made a separate package for each
browser, like the ubufox extension for Firefox.

I'm looking into making a website for the "Ubuntu AppUpdate" service
and it would be nice to have my users just be able to click on the
"apt-get" instructions to install the packages. I realize apturl
should already be supported out of the box, but plain apturls often
confuse users. In addition, this would make things a lot easier for
new users asking questions on the various forums and communities where
apturls are not supported.

Needless to say, having this behavior set-up out of the box would be
very "Apple-esque" and would be a boon to new users.

Thanks,
Ryan