The 9.10 boot loader progress bar

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Mon Jan 25 17:20:14 UTC 2010

2010/1/25 Amahdy <mrjava.javaman at gmail.com>:
> Here is the middle of thing, have the splash splitted out into two parts,
> the upper is the graphical splash and the lower part is the traditional
> text-boot with [green(OK)] or [red(fail)]
> Even maybe with a scrollbar to scroll through the log if needed...

We moved away from [OK] type scrolling past a few releases ago. I'd
suspect (no proof, no percentages) that most people flat out don't
care what is [OK] and what isn't. They just want to get to the desktop
as quick as possible. In the event something goes wrong I'd guess most
users wouldn't have a clue what to do if one of the lines did say
[FAIL] anyway.
> BTW: I believe 99% of users doesn't really care about the splached boot,
> they *have* to see text at some point after pressing the power button
> (related to BIOS, detecting IDE, RAM ... etc then GRUP loading ...) so if
> this text continue to tell (Loading kernel, X-Server, .. etc) it doesn't
> matter a lot as far as they reach at the end a graphical login-screen which
> starting from here become for most users a critical matter.

Neither of my laptops display _any_ text when they boot. Both show a
graphical manufacturer logo and then Grub/Linux starts booting. Both
from big name brand manufacturers, popular machines.

Cheers,
Al.