Improving taskbar (or the bottom panel)

Tadas Naujokaitis tadaspaukst at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 20:52:10 UTC 2010

Hello!

I'm an Ubuntu user for several months and I want to say thank you for such a
good and free OS!
I'm not sure if it's the right place for my suggestion, but I hope it is :)

Ubuntu has many good things in it, but the taskbar (or the bottom panel)
could be better. When you are working with many files and applications,
taskbar is the one, which should be improved. I think that icon and text in
taskbar for each opened window isn't the best solution, because it's
difficult to work with many opened windows. Why there couldn't be only icons
(of opened applications such as Nautilus, OpenOffice.org Writer,
Calculator...) in the taskbar and preview of that application window (or
some previews of grouped windows) would appear when mouse pointer is on that
icon? Maybe it could be a user's choise to display icons and text or only
icons in taskbar. Of course windows' previews would be a very important
thing and you should be able to click on them to open window. Windows of the
same application should be grouped so you could see some previews when mouse
cursor is on that app icon.

I hope you understood my suggestion and I'd like to see what you think about
it and if it's possible to make (it would be ideal in 10.04).

If you have any questions, ask me ;)

And sorry for my English...

Tadas