ntfs-3g in Lucid

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 11 21:09:03 UTC 2010

> Subject: Re: Can we get ntfs-3g 2010.1.16 in Lucid?
> From: stephan <marguet at rutgers.edu>
> Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 05:48:32 -0500
> To: Daniel Chen <seven.steps at gmail.com>
>

> It looks like Michael will help us all out and do a non-maintainer
> upgrade to get 2010.1.16 into testing:
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=560685#44
>
> Does that mean it will automatically go into Lucid?  Or is there more
> work to be done since the package in Ubuntu ends with "-1ubuntu5"  ?
> Thanks,

Doesn't look like it:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=ntfs-3g&searchon=names&suite=lucid&section=all

Package ntfs-3g

     * lucid (otherosfs): read-write NTFS driver for FUSE
       1:2009.4.4-1ubuntu5: amd64 i386

This is the kind of small thing that makes a HUGE difference in people's
perception of the quality of Ubuntu.  In point of fact, in the real
world, NTFS is the logical choice, and hence needs to work well.