bad virtaal packaging?

Chris Coulson chrisccoulson at
Sat Feb 6 21:41:27 UTC 2010

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 20:24 +0200, Lucian Adrian Grijincu wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm sending this email here because you're listed as package
> maintainer for virtaal:
>   Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss at>
> If you look at
> you'll see that the:
> * source package version is 0.5.1.
> * binary package version is 0.4.1 (no source package available)
> The sources were uploaded more than two weeks ago but the binary
> packages were never built.
> I think there's an error in debia/changelog:
> the first line says:
>     virtaal (0.5.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
> This was valid in Debian were it was first debianized, but not here.
> We'd need something like
>     virtaal (0.5.1-1ubuntu1) lucid; urgency=low
> The same problem is in translate-toolkit
> it's
>    translate-toolkit (1.5.2-1) unstable; urgency=low
> but should be
>    translate-toolkit (1.5.2-1ubuntu1) lucid; urgency=low
> Can you advise what I should do, who should I contact to get this fixed?
> I can repackage them if needed (I have a few PPAs), but I don't know
> who to contact to get them uploaded.
> --
>  .
> ..: Lucian

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. However, the version
numbers have nothing to do with the problem. These packages have been
sync'd directly from Debian with no Ubuntu-specific modifications, which
is why they don't have an "-XubuntuY" version number. This is quite
normal. Packages will only get a unique Ubuntu version number when we
make modifications to them in Ubuntu.

The issue is that virtaal is currently DEPWAIT on translate-toolkit, and
translate-toolkit is DEPWAIT on gaupol. This is because gaupol is in
universe, and translate-toolkit is in main - packages in main are not
allowed to depend on packages in universe.

To fix this, somebody needs to raise a MIR [1] to have gaupol promoted
to main.

[1] -