Feature suggestions: optionally placing home folder into separate partition during ubuntu install

Joao Pinto joao.pinto at getdeb.net
Tue Dec 28 15:54:09 UTC 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Evan Huus <eapache at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is an important point. The 'average' user isn't going to be able to
> take
> advantage of a separate home partition, even if the installer does it
> automatically for them. Reinstalling while preserving user data is
> already possible with a single / partition, and more complicated recovery
> operations (such as the one which started this thread) are not going to
> occur to someone who doesn't know enough to manually partition in the
> first place.
>
> Admittedly, the installer could make it easier for power-users to divide up
> their partitions without specifying every detail manually, but I don't
> think it
> would provide any functional benefit, just usability benefit.
>
> Evan

And let's not forget  that for those who don't need/understand what is a
separate home partition, choosing to do so is likely to become a problem in
the future when the partition sizing is found to be incorrect/insufficient.

IMHO for 'regular' users the ability to reinstall without wiping the /home
surpasses most of the benefits of using an isolated partition.

--
João Luís Marques Pinto
GetDeb Team Leader