Sync Request process questions

C de-Avillez hggdh2 at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 14 20:44:08 UTC 2010

(with the bugSquad/Control admin hat on)

On 12/14/2010 01:56 PM, Andrew Starr-Bochicchio wrote:
>> > 1. Unlike many other excellent automatic responses, this one does not
>> > thank me for my bug report. It implies that for anything to be done
>> > for my bug report, I have to go and follow the instructions on the
>> > page pointed to.

I am sorry you had this bad experience; please rest assured that we
try very hard to follow the CoC [1]; being nice does not cost
anything but a few keystrokes, and helps a whole lot.

In this case, we do not have an official, pre-canned-type, response.
You can see all pre-canned responses on [2]. Even with these
answers, we still recommend the "human" touch -- i.e., adding
additional data/comments.

In fact, we recommend that triagers stay clear of developer-type
bugs (sync, merge, promote, etc) [3]. I have just changed the wiki
page, trying to highlight this.

My guess is lack of reading the instructions... <sigh/>.

>> >  But why should I? I have reported the bug, I have not
>> > indicated that I am anything other than an ordinary user, why on earth
>> > would you think I have the time or indeed the skills needed to triage
>> > my own bug report against the criteria on this page? As it happens, I
>> > have both the time and the skills, but I still choose not to work on
>> > Ubuntu itself; I choose to spend my effort upstream (for example, I
>> > helped to make some improvements to sudo recently), and downstream (in
>> > this case, reporting this bug). In summary, this automatic response
>> > looks rather ungrateful.
> First of all, thank you for your contributions and your thoughtful
> email on Ubuntu development. You certainly targeted a number of pain
> points (some of which we are very aware of) that make contributing to
> Ubuntu as a bug reporter or developer more difficult than it should
> be.

Indeed.

> *As for this specific interaction, it seems to be a case of a bug
> triager not being completely aware of Ubuntu development procedures.*

And, if I may add, not completely aware of the Ubuntu triaging
procedures. I will contact the triager.

Reuben, thank you for bringing this incident to our attention. Your
help *is* appreciated.

Cheers,

..C..

[1] https://launchpad.net/codeofconduct/1.0.1