Introducing Products

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Thu Dec 2 06:30:55 UTC 2010

Emmet Hikory [2010-11-24  3:18 +0900]:
> If folks wish to support a target that doesn't have a current kernel
> image, but can be supported by only configuration changes to the
> Ubuntu kernels, should they request more kernel images be produced
> by the kernel team, or upload their own derivative kernels?

A new binary flavour from the same linux source package would be
preferable here, as it greatly reduces the overhead of the extra
upload, extra archive administration (NEWing), and extra SRU
processing.

I know that the linaro armel kernels were just split from a common
source package, which seems like a step backwards. This was a
trade-off to be able to build several of them in parallel. But
i386/amd64 architectures/builders are "fast enough" and also
multi-core, so I'd love to see this workaround being limited to arm
kernels.

Thanks,

Martin