Thoughts about software-properties

Mohammed Amine IL Idrissi ilidrissiamine at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 13:04:30 UTC 2010

Hi,
I was discussing with Michael Vogt about an idea I've had for a long time,
and he recommended me to share my thoughts here. So, here goes nothing:

Software-properties is one of the few applications that still relies on
gksu. I was about to convert it to aptdaemon/policykit, when I thought of
this: "Why don't we just separate software-properties into both
update-manager and software-center?"
So I began to create the mockups attached:
 * update-manager: clicking on the "Settings..." button should open up a
dialog that contains two tabs: "Repositories" and "Automatic Updates". Note
that I mostly borrowed the design from here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoftwareUpdateHandling#settings
 * software-center: Clicking on the "Provided by Ubuntu" pane should show
(beside what's in place now) five checkboxes representing main, universe,
restricted, multiverse, and commercial software. And clicking on an
authorized repository (such as a PPA) will show that the source is
authorized.
Right-clicking on "Get software" should show a context menu containing an
"Add" and an "Edit" buttons. No mockups for now, but maybe I'll do them
later.

Share your thoughts - I'm not good at UI designing, so please feel free to
criticize.
Thank you,
Mohamed Amine IL Idrissi