Firestarter (Chris Jones)

Davyd McColl davydm at gmail.com
Sun Aug 29 09:42:47 UTC 2010

>> If the answer is yes, then it does not need maintaining whilst
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UFW is also supported, there seems no need
to drop an application just because it has reached maturity and needs no
further 'tweaking' - Just my 2 cents worth.

I think perhaps we have different views on what constitutes "maintenance".
As libraries that Firestarter depends on progress, someone will need to
maintain the package to make sure that it installs correctly and works
correctly. That's what "maintenance" on a stable package means. Yes, it
works -- for now -- but any package, left alone in a dynamic system, will
eventually fall behind and cease to work.

The job of maintenance on a package like this which doesn't seem to have a
roadmap of missing features or any glaring bugs is very light -- keep it
installed and run it now and then to make sure it still works; react when
the package no longer works as expected. Yet still, maintenance it is.
Ordinarily the author of a stable project like this would be happy to
continue with this kind of maintenance -- or to be blunt enough to proclaim
end-of-life as a fair warning to the distributions which bundle the app.

--
The competent programmer is fully aware of the limited size of his own