Keyboard issues with Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 and VMWare Workstation 7.0

Dave Anderson dave at ucla.edu
Tue Apr 27 17:15:29 UTC 2010

I confirmed this today and thought I'd share with the group. Here are the
details:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1515622#1515622

I had similar problem in that the mouse worked on the gdm login screen but
the keyboard did not. I was able to login using the on-screen keyboard.

I enabled the on-screen keyboard via the universal access preferences,
(little man-in-circle button on gdm screen). Also had to reboot to get the
keyboard to display properly. Once logged in the regular keyboard worked
fine.

I found the :0-greeter.log file in /var/log/gdm had errors complaining about
not find symbols for "U.S. English" keyboard layout in us keyboard file. A
little grepping later finds "U.S. English" is set in
/etc/default/console-setup.
<from original file>
XKBMODEL="SKIP"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT="U.S. English"
XKBOPTIONS=""

<changed to this, matching other linux installs>
XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="us"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""

Reboot and keyboard now works at login. Don't know if this is VMware's or
Ubuntu's fault during install, since I used the auto install process in
Workstation 7. Sounds like it could be VMware related as a manual install
seems to avoid this.