Latest Lucid kernel (2.6.32-20) chokes on my hardware

Luke L lukehasnoname at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 04:49:58 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Bruno Girin <brunogirin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all, apologies for cross-posting to different lists, I'm just
> not sure where is the best place to ask this question.
>
> I upgraded my laptop to Lucid beta 2 today, in an attempt to test-drive
> it. It all worked fine until the system updated the kernel from
> 2.6.32-19 to 2.6.32-20. With *-20, it won't boot anymore. If anybody
> could give me some pointers so that I can investigate that problem
> further and file a bug report that is more specific than "computer says
> no", that would be very much appreciated. I'm happy to dive into the
> bowels of the OS if need be so don't hesitate to make it technical if
> required.
>
> The laptop in question is an IBM ThinkPad T42. The system seems to fail
> very early in the boot sequence, as if it didn't manage to recognise the
> disk, which may be part of the problem as I replaced the original HDD
> with an SSD when I upgraded to Karmic 6 months ago.
>
> I also upgraded the BIOS of the machine to its latest version today. I'm
> not sure whether that can have an impact.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bruno Girin

(Posting to devel-discuss)

Did your system work with the newest BIOS /before/ you upgraded to the
newest kernel? If not (or if you don't know), I would say the issue is
the BIOS, not Ubuntu.

I don't know if these particular mailing lists are the most
appropriate place for a question like this; just so you know, there
are IRC channels and http://ubuntuforums.org for questions like these.
Again, this is just my guess.

--
Luke L.