Thoughts on quitting and window controls

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 01:57:27 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Davyd McColl <davydm at gmail.com> wrote:

> For what my input is worth, I'd just like to point out that I'm one of
> those people who is annoyed when an app which runs in the systray *exits*
> when I close the interface window (main or otherwise). For apps that support
> the "minimise to tray" functionality instead of "closing the window
> minimises to tray" idea, I find it particularly difficult to re-train myself
> to minimise instead of close. To me, minimise means "minimise to the task
> bar".
>
> Personally, I don't think that an extra button in the title-bar would cut
> the mustard either. Seems that the only viable option that I can see is to
> handle both preferences (far be it for me to force *my* preferences on
> another person) -- perhaps the solution is a global preference for this kind
> of thing so that neither I nor the OP have to configure multiple tray-aware
> apps to bend to our personal preference.
>
> This option could perhaps be a checkbox in the "Window Preferences"
> settings dialog available from System->Preferences->Windows

Perhaps this settings dialog should appear the first time that that a window
is closed without closing an app.

I remember the first time that I closed a window without quitting the app I
was quite confused. However since then I have found it more natural that
closing a window doesn't also make the notification icon disappear and e.g.
stop music from playing.

Displaying some from dialog (particularly one that requires some form of
choice from the user) seems like a way to inform the user about the
notification area so they don't think they have to use ps to close the
application. Perhaps closing the dialog without making a choice should close
Rhythmbox (this time)... this would help if a user accidentally click on
RhythmBox at night and just wants it to stop playing loud music right *now*
without having to learn about a notification area.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted