Thoughts on quitting and window controls

Davyd McColl davydm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 21:38:02 UTC 2010

For what my input is worth, I'd just like to point out that I'm one of those
people who is annoyed when an app which runs in the systray *exits* when I
close the interface window (main or otherwise). For apps that support the
"minimise to tray" functionality instead of "closing the window minimises to
tray" idea, I find it particularly difficult to re-train myself to minimise
instead of close. To me, minimise means "minimise to the task bar".

Personally, I don't think that an extra button in the title-bar would cut
the mustard either. Seems that the only viable option that I can see is to
handle both preferences (far be it for me to force *my* preferences on
another person) -- perhaps the solution is a global preference for this kind
of thing so that neither I nor the OP have to configure multiple tray-aware
apps to bend to our personal preference.

This option could perhaps be a checkbox in the "Window Preferences" settings
dialog available from System->Preferences->Windows

Of course, getting tray-aware apps to honor this setting is a whole other
bowl of pudding entirely.

--
The competent programmer is fully aware of the limited size of his own