Ubuntu for laptops

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed Sep 23 18:43:35 UTC 2009

shirish शिरीष wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 05:57, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:40:05PM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>>
>>> a. Lots of background services which are started by default.
>>
>> Background services are either doing something (in which case the user
>> expects them to be doing so), are idle (and therefore not consuming any
>> energy) or are buggy (in which case they should just be fixed).

Agreed - and this was triggered by a comparison to battery-life in Windows.
Windows starts a heap of services too.

> Couldn't there be a use-case where there are background services which
> are normal in a PC (read desktop) environment but perhaps are not
> suited for laptops.

There could be general tendencies, but many of us have simply stopped using
desktop machines.  My laptop runs _literally_ everything.  It's my primary
development testbed.

> The basic assumption being that most of the hardware is mostly a
> generation or two older then desktop and is severly constrainted.

I'm not at all sure that's a valid assumption.

>> No. If there are kernel bugs that increase power consumption, they need
>> fixing for desktops and servers as well as laptops.
>
> Right.

Absolutely.
--
derek