Ubuntu for laptops

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 06:12:03 UTC 2009

in-line :-

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 05:57, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:40:05PM +0530, shirish शिरीष wrote:
>
>> a. Lots of background services which are started by default.
>
> Background services are either doing something (in which case the user
> expects them to be doing so), are idle (and therefore not consuming any
> energy) or are buggy (in which case they should just be fixed).

Couldn't there be a use-case where there are background services which
are normal in a PC (read desktop) environment but perhaps are not
suited for laptops.

The basic assumption being that most of the hardware is mostly a
generation or two older then desktop and is severly constrainted.

>> b. Also the kenel as well as packages should behave in a manner which
>> make battery life longer. This is not the case at the present .
>>
>> For e.g. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?s=84bfb8cd28895385bee083cc30eed476&p=1267038#post1267038
>
> No. If there are kernel bugs that increase power consumption, they need
> fixing for desktops and servers as well as laptops.

Right.

>> The use-cases are unique to laptops and laptops in battery-mode. Any
>> benefits on this are surely going to overlap with UNR as well. (as it
>> suffers from similar constraints)
>
> The use-cases are not unique to laptops.

I thought perhaps . Good to be corrected.

Found something interesting as well. (perhaps)

http://lwn.net/Articles/351013/

specifically comments relating to boot speed and power waste.