launchpad bug reports

Patrick Goetz pgoetz at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Sep 22 12:44:13 UTC 2009

Joshua Timberman wrote:
> "Bugs in The Karmic Koala"
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic
>
> Substitute karmic with other release names if desired.

I saw this, but this just lists all karmic bugs, although it's easy
enough to search on a package name.  This raises the question of how
bugs appear in this list; i.e. does one file the bug against karmic or
against the package, and if the latter, will it automatically appear in
the karmic list if it's a karmic package?  Based on sifting through the
dovecot/postfix bug lists, it appears not.

When I go to report a bug, I'm asked to list the package the bug is in
(if known) but not what distribution I am using.  Since almost everyone
is using a particular distribution/version, it seems that it would be
useful to also ask what distribution the bug reporter is using; that way
bugs filed against packages would also appear as problems in that
distribution.