Archive frozen for preparation of Ubuntu 9.10

Steve Langasek steve.langasek at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 17 10:17:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 11:49:10AM +0200, Leslie Viljoen wrote:

> >  - the kernel in particular must be frozen some time in advance of the
> >   release, in order to settle other components that build on it; there is

> I thought this would be the case since the release is in two weeks! I
> usually don't try to test releases from the Alpha stage because of the
> danger of bricking my hardware, but it seems bugs found at Beta stage
> are too late to fix. Do you think it would be useful for me to try and
> test on the very day the Beta is released?

In the case of kernel bugs, I think that would improve the chances of a fix
being found and included in time for release.  Still, the biggest obstacle
here is not having a known patch to fix this bug - as you can see from the
handling of this particular bug, the Ubuntu kernel developers don't have the
resources to track down all such upstream fixes themselves, so the best way
to help get a bug like this fixed is if you can help identify the upstream
commit that fixes the bug.