Bye all - time to stop

Vincenzo Ciancia ciancia at di.unipi.it
Mon Oct 12 10:00:19 UTC 2009

Il 11/10/2009 11:52, Vincenzo Ciancia ha scritto:
> Il 10/10/2009 21:16, Peteris Krisjanis ha scritto:
>> Sorry, I can't agree more either. You don't even offer your reasoning
>> why there is no strong reasons. For me, integrity, visual style, etc.
>> makes it much better and welcome in Ubuntu desktop than Pidgin. And it
>> has been a class example why we do evaluate apps and why they are
>> given second chance if they improve as Empathy did.
>
> I am pointing out that empathy at the moment is widely broken, and none
> of the feature it promises are there. I don't think you can install
> ubuntu on a fresh computer and be sure voice calls with empathy will
> work at all. I don't think you can really use empathy for IRC. I don't
> think empathy will imports accounts from pidgin in a reliable way.
>
> How do I know these things, is because I tried it. When it'll be ready,
> it will be a pleasure to use it. I am not saying distributors should
> "resist" to change.
>
> V.

But in any case, even more important, I have to unsubscribe from this
list. Even the above criticism could become a contribution to ubuntu. It
may e.g. prod developers into looking at those bugs again. And I have
decided that my contributions to ubuntu should stop.

CC Mark Shuttleworth, because it is clear that no developers want to
speak about this problem, so the "boss" is the only one entitled.

This is because one thing are design issues that can be discussed, and
eventually I would understand the reasons for those uncomfortable
changes, and start convincing MY users that these changes are good; bugs
can be reported, cooperation can be done in my free time, one other
thing is to

1) notice that we^H^H^H you are still tricking your users into thinking
that they google for something, whereas they really "ubuntu+google for
something"

http://start.ubuntu.com/9.10/

2) Notice that the solution to the problem would just be to add a link
in that page to a relevant explanation, and that developers have
SILENTLY refused to do that.

3) notice that all the persons involved (and it's extremely difficult to
find someone who will say "yes I am responsible for that page") PROMISED
that the issues would have been solved

4) notice that Mark Shuttleworth in person said that these issues would
have been discussed

5) notice that all the above can be safely skipped, since in the end
nothing changed.

I quitted some time ago, now I make it official; I was not the most
useful contributor anyways.

bye

Vincenzo