Could someone explain a "Won't Fix" bug resolution re ubuntu-boot-experience?

Robbie Williamson robbie at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 6 20:02:56 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 21:48 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 14:12 -0500, Robbie Williamson wrote:
> > Apologies for this.  While the systems startup text is normal, e.g. the
> > fsck stuff, the kernel messages are not, e.g. the usb stuff.  I've dup'd
> > this to bug 438335.
>
> Thanks. I should have found and read this myself, sorry for that.
> (Though it may help to include a link in the boot section of the next
> beta release notes or to otherwise manage expectations to avoid useless
> bug reports.)
>
> > Furthermore, if you'd like to improve the boot
> > experience, I suggest doing the following:
> >
> > 1) Convert to Grub2
> > - sudo upgrade-from-grub-legacy
>
> This time, thankfully, I did search and found
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/385053
>
> So no, can't do that unfortunately because I don't have grub in the MBR.
ah..ok.  Doesn't make much of a difference really.

> > 2) Relocate your console messages from tty1 to tty6
> > - sudo vi /etc/default/grub
> > - Add "console=tty6" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT:
> >      "quiet splash console=tty6"
> > - save and quit
> > - sudo update-grub
>
> Not sure whether this is a grub2 thing (the file did not exist), do did
> not do that yet.
for grub, you can edit the corresponding line in /boot/grub/menu.lst

> > 3) Enable usplash at boot
> > - sudo -i
> > - echo USPLASH=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/usplash.conf
> > - update-initramfs -u
>
> This did the trick. Now I go from grub to a white glowing Ubuntu logo on
> black background, then a few seconds of console screen with the cursor
> blinking in the top-left corner, and then the spinning mouse pointer and
> what I guess is xsplash, i.e., the dark/reddish "stage" graphics with
> spot lights from the top onto an Ubuntu logo/logotype, and a narrow
> white light gliding left to right as an activity indicator.
>
> All in all a clean-looking boot (for a non-Intel card I guess - using an
> ATi with free driver). Is usplash only enabled for fresh installs now? I
> had a quiet graphical boot in jaunty before upgrading.
Actually, usplash is disabled by default at boot time...for now.
However, we are considering re-enabling it to mask out the startup
messages.

-robbie

> Cheers

Robbie Williamson                      twitter/identi.ca: undacuvabrutha
Ubuntu Foundations & Security Team Manager     robbiew[irc.freenode.net]
http://wiki.ubuntu.com                                 robbie at ubuntu.com

"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
 -Mos Def

"Arrogance is thinking you are better than everyone else, while
Confidence is knowing no one else is better than you." -Me ;)