Could someone explain a "Won't Fix" bug resolution re ubuntu-boot-experience?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Oct 6 19:48:36 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-10-06 at 14:12 -0500, Robbie Williamson wrote:
> Apologies for this.  While the systems startup text is normal, e.g. the
> fsck stuff, the kernel messages are not, e.g. the usb stuff.  I've dup'd
> this to bug 438335.

Thanks. I should have found and read this myself, sorry for that.
(Though it may help to include a link in the boot section of the next
beta release notes or to otherwise manage expectations to avoid useless
bug reports.)

> Furthermore, if you'd like to improve the boot
> experience, I suggest doing the following:
>
> 1) Convert to Grub2
> - sudo upgrade-from-grub-legacy

This time, thankfully, I did search and found
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/385053

So no, can't do that unfortunately because I don't have grub in the MBR.

> 2) Relocate your console messages from tty1 to tty6
> - sudo vi /etc/default/grub
> - Add "console=tty6" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT:
>      "quiet splash console=tty6"
> - save and quit
> - sudo update-grub

Not sure whether this is a grub2 thing (the file did not exist), do did
not do that yet.

> 3) Enable usplash at boot
> - sudo -i
> - echo USPLASH=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/usplash.conf
> - update-initramfs -u

This did the trick. Now I go from grub to a white glowing Ubuntu logo on
black background, then a few seconds of console screen with the cursor
blinking in the top-left corner, and then the spinning mouse pointer and
what I guess is xsplash, i.e., the dark/reddish "stage" graphics with
spot lights from the top onto an Ubuntu logo/logotype, and a narrow
white light gliding left to right as an activity indicator.

All in all a clean-looking boot (for a non-Intel card I guess - using an
ATi with free driver). Is usplash only enabled for fresh installs now? I
had a quiet graphical boot in jaunty before upgrading.

Cheers