Could someone explain a "Won't Fix" bug resolution re ubuntu-boot-experience?

Robbie Williamson robbie at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 6 19:12:38 UTC 2009

Apologies for this.  While the systems startup text is normal, e.g. the
fsck stuff, the kernel messages are not, e.g. the usb stuff.  I've dup'd
this to bug 438335.   Furthermore, if you'd like to improve the boot
experience, I suggest doing the following:

1) Convert to Grub2
- sudo upgrade-from-grub-legacy

2) Relocate your console messages from tty1 to tty6
- sudo vi /etc/default/grub
- Add "console=tty6" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT:
     "quiet splash console=tty6"
- save and quit
- sudo update-grub

3) Enable usplash at boot
- sudo -i
- echo USPLASH=y > /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/usplash.conf
- update-initramfs -u

Please let me know if that improves things.

-Robbie

--
Robbie Williamson                      twitter/identi.ca: undacuvabrutha
Ubuntu Foundations & Security Team Manager     robbiew[irc.freenode.net]
http://wiki.ubuntu.com                                 robbie at ubuntu.com

"You can't be lucky all the time, but you can be smart everyday"
 -Mos Def

"Arrogance is thinking you are better than everyone else, while
Confidence is knowing no one else is better than you." -Me ;)