ubuntu-releases package

Benjamin Drung bdrung at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 23 23:22:55 UTC 2009

Am Montag, den 23.11.2009, 16:28 -0500 schrieb James Westby:
> On Sun Nov 22 19:16:57 -0500 2009 Benjamin Drung wrote:
> > Introduce a ubuntu-releases package. This package will have a list of
> > all known Ubuntu releases. A small script will give you the needed
> > information, based on the releases list and the current date. Examples:
>
> I have often thought this would be useful.
>
> My only question would be on the package that it would go in, as a
> whole new package may be unnecessary.

A whole new package would be better than integrating into an other
package. When a new series is announced, we can simply update this
package via SRU.

> I have a whole bunch of scripts that I would move over to this if
> it was available.

Ok, then I will write this tool.

> Have you considered making something similar for Debian (though
> it's a problem that bites less there)?

No. unstable will stay unstable. All my uploads to Debian targeted
unstable (that may differ for security and QA people). What kind of
information should the debian-release tool offer? What would be the
benefit of it?

Would a generic interface be a good idea? A 'release' script return the
information about the running distro (Debian or Ubuntu). With an
parameter -D / --distribution, you could select Debian or Ubuntu.
'ubuntu-release' would do the same as 'release -D ubuntu' and
'debian-release' would do the same as 'release -D debian'. Or would this
be an overkill?

'debian-release -d' would always return unstable. 'debian-release -s'
would return squeeze and change from time to time (less often than in
Ubuntu).

--
Benjamin Drung
Ubuntu Developer (www.ubuntu.com) | Debian Maintainer (www.debian.org)