Ubuntu Domain Server

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 21:38:16 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 21, 2009 at 19:58, Michael Bienia <michael at bienia.de> wrote:
> On 2009-11-21 17:37:46 +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:
>> <http://gparted.sourceforge.net/screens/gparted_1_big.jpg>
>> Oh, perhaps you prefer command line disk partitioning over gparted as
>> well. It's doable and much more flexible :-)
>
> gparted is probably a good GUI (hadn't have to repartition my disk for a
> long time, so never used it till now). But does it help someone to
> partition his disk properly who doesn't know about primary/logical
> partitions, filesystem types, mount points, etc.?

It doesn't. But we don't care about those users. They should use the
guided Ubuntu installer. If they want to shoot themselves in the foot,
we can't prevent that without losing a lot of useful tools.

> Letting someone use gparted to partition his disk who doesn't know
> anything about partitioning will probably end in a big data desaster.
> And whom will this user blame for it? Certainly not himself for doing
> tasks he doesn't understand but the GUI for letting it do him (even if
> it has big warnings).

The user can blame anyone he wants. The rest of the world shouldn't
care about that. I find this whole blaming angle very unproductive.
Should Gparted not exist? Should Synaptic? Or the PolicyKit editor?
Rapache? The LVM manager? All can be used to destroy data or create
security leaks. But all are used to save time for those that
understand how they work.

--
Remco