"tree" package to be included out-of-the-box

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 01:05:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Chris Jones <chrisjones at comcen.com.au> wrote:
> Ok, this is really starting to bug me. Why is the "tree" package not
> installed by default in Ubuntu? Other distros such as Fedora have it
> installed by default.
>
> I know it's easy enough to install at only ~500kb, but it irks me as
> it's a command I use all the time and I think it is just something/a
> command that should be included without the user having to install it.
>
> Cheers.

I think we all have our personal pet packages we would like to have
installed by default, and all our answers would be a bit different
from each other.  Mine are "flip" and "vim" (instead of the default
vim-tiny...).

There is just so much space available to whatever become the Ubuntu
default, and every kb counts; and it's not like the extra few seconds
to install them in the few cases during the year I setup a system
totally from scratch will kill me.

--
Daniel Robitaille