"tree" package to be included out-of-the-box

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 01:05:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Chris Jones <chrisjones at comcen.com.au> wrote:
> Ok, this is really starting to bug me. Why is the "tree" package not
> installed by default in Ubuntu? Other distros such as Fedora have it
> installed by default.
> I know it's easy enough to install at only ~500kb, but it irks me as
> it's a command I use all the time and I think it is just something/a
> command that should be included without the user having to install it.
> Cheers.

I think we all have our personal pet packages we would like to have
installed by default, and all our answers would be a bit different
from each other.  Mine are "flip" and "vim" (instead of the default

There is just so much space available to whatever become the Ubuntu
default, and every kb counts; and it's not like the extra few seconds
to install them in the few cases during the year I setup a system
totally from scratch will kill me.

Daniel Robitaille