Ubuntu Domain Server

Joseph Miller josephcmiller2 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 12:25:54 UTC 2009

> It's been said before, and I will say it again. Stupid people will do
> stupid things, one way or another. I do know that often times, with
> repeatable tasks and with things that can be done step-by-step, a GUI
> can be useful in keeping the learning curve low. Can a low learning
> curve make some people think they know what they're doing, when they
> may not? Yes. Still, you are artificially setting the bar for time and
> energy spent HIGHER for those of us who could and/or do know the
> consequences of our actions.

Yes, a GUI *can* be useful - I won't dispute that.  My point is, if you
don't RTFM, the GUI isn't easier than non-GUI.  Learning curve isn't any
lower if you don't read the instructions.  And either way, GUI or non-GUI -
you can set it up completely wrong if you don't read the instructions.  With
repeatable tasks I like scripts or just copying configuration text files.
Does that make it better than a GUI?  No, it doesn't.  But it's all about
preference for the person operating the machine.  Telling everyone that
they're stupid for not using a GUI disregards highly skilled and effective
IT staff.

> Analogies can be made all day. Should we make people code every
> website from scratch, in pure HTML/CSS/SQL? No, because even though I
> have done that in the past and could do it again, MVC frameworks take
> a lot of the cruft out of building sites. How about Joomla? Should we
> say they shouldn't exist, because it makes it easy for end-users to
> make simple club websites? No, that's absurd.

In many cases, it's just use the right tool for the right job.  There are
still reasons for coding websites from scratch on the right projects.
Joomla isn't the tool for every project.  Neither are MVC frameworks.

> So should we purposely shun the development of time-saving GUIs for
> some applications (e.g. Virtual Machine Manager) because some people
> will find it easier to use than learning 50 different command switches
> and having to visualize my work myself? NO.

Turnabout is fair play.  It's not my fault some people are too stupid to
visualize their work.  And I don't agree that everyone should be forced to
use the command line.  If you like the GUI, you use it.  I'm going to
continue doing my work by entering commands into an assembly interpreter
because that's *my* preference.

-Joseph