FreeMat 4.0 for Karmic?

Paul Gevers paul at climbing.nl
Tue Nov 10 15:22:14 UTC 2009

Hi Chuong,

[I added you directly to this mail, because I suspect you are not
subscribed to this mail-list].

Chuong Nguyen wrote:
> Dear Ubuntu Developers,
>
> Thank you very much for including FreeMat 3.6 in Karmic. As FreeMat 4.0
> has been released recently with some very important features, could you
> please consider adding this newer release to Ubuntu's repository?

I think you are asking to have the package in Karmic updated. Usually,
Ubuntu needs good reasons to do that, as describe at [1]. And if you are
starting that process than the bug tracker of Ubuntu is the place to be [2].

> There can be one problem that FreeMat 4.0 requires exactly llvm 2.5,
> amongst other packages, for its JIT acceleration while Karmic only
> includes llvm 2.6 instead. As a work around, Jaunty's llvm 2.5 deb can
> be installed on Karmic, then compiling FreeMat goes without problems. In
> fact, llvm 2.5 source is already included in FreeMat 4.0 source but I
> couldn't compile it.

Whow, that is usually not acceptable. We don't want copies of libraries
in the archive that are already build stand alone.

> If you need me provide deb files and add them to Ubuntu's repository,
> please provide some instructions to do that properly or pointers to
> where I can find the information.

See [3]

Paul

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StableReleaseUpdates