upgrade from 9.04 - 9.10: the most broken Ubuntu / Debian upgrade I have ever experienced

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Tue Nov 3 19:07:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 17:03 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> Lets not be too hasty in larting someone for using apt-get instead of
> update-manager or do-release-upgrade.

Agreed, and I seem to remember that I was the one to have pestered Colin
until he wrote this :)

BUT, this implies that the user of apt-get does know what he is doing
(e.g, update the current distro completely before upgrading; install
ubuntu-desktop) and is prepared to deal with fallout such as conflicts
and the need to run apt-get -f install repeatedly without freaking out.

I don't think that the OP provided enough information to understand
what went wrong during his upgrade; it does seem that he may have tried
update-manager first and resorted to the manual process only once it
failed.