upgrade from 9.04 - 9.10: the most broken Ubuntu / Debian upgrade I have ever experienced

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Tue Nov 3 17:03:35 UTC 2009

2009/11/3 Paul Smith <paul at mad-scientist.us>:
> You mean in update-manager.  Raw dist-upgrade should not be used to
> upgrade to new releases of Ubuntu.

Lets not be too hasty in larting someone for using apt-get instead of
update-manager or do-release-upgrade.

As Colin Watson said..

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/sounder/2009-March/011501.html

"We strongly recommend update-manager over other upgrade methods ..."

"However, that's not the same as saying that an upgrade method is totally
unsupported...."

"People who use apt rather than update-manager usually have more
experience anyway and are better-placed to deal with problems. The main
reason to recommend that they use update-manager is simply because that
means that we are more likely to get upgrade bug reports from
knowledgeable users who stand a better chance of helping us fix them!
But, if you want to use apt-get or aptitude, and if you're comfortable
with encountering the odd glitch, feel free. I use apt-get or
update-manager myself depending on what mood I'm in."

Cheers,
Al.