Ubuntu Desktop Unit Consistency (LP: #369525)

Benjamin Drung benjamin.drung at gmail.com
Thu May 28 21:23:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

I hope this mailing list is the right place to discuss the problem.

There is currently an inconsistency with units across the Ubuntu
desktop. Some applications (such as gvfs) use legacy units, such as a
1024-byte kilobyte. Others (such as System Monitor) use international
standard units, such as a 1000-byte kilobyte. Ubuntu should decide its
units philosophy and apply it consistently across the desktop.

Details:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-unit-consistency/

Ubuntu should use following convention:

k- = 1,000, M- = 1,000,000, ...
Ki- = 1,024, Mi- = 1,048,576, ...

Here are some pro arguments:

* The users want it. Look at brainstorm:
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/4114/
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/17839/

* The Linux kernel uses it (man units).

* It is standardised.

* It would avoid ambiguity and consumer confusion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix#Consumer_confusion

So please apply the patch posted on https://launchpad.net/bugs/369525

I am not a member of this list, so please CC me when you response to
this mail.

Cheers,
Benjamin