problems with ubuntu in general

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Thu May 28 10:41:49 UTC 2009

On Thursday 28 May 2009 6:17:17 am Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 04:21:28AM -0400, Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> > On Monday 25 May 2009 11:15:21 am solaris manzur wrote:
> > > b) besides that OMG "Hibernating and suspending" This is a big trouble,
> > > <snip>
> > > and second, it is not working in all pcs why?
> >
> > Because many PCs have broken hardware (ie, the BIOS loaded onto the
> > motherboard reports incorrect information and violates the ACPI standard).
> > This is the cause of the majority of weird hardware issues.
>
> Most suspend/resume issues at this point are due to Linux deficiencies
> (such as our inability to reprogram nvidia hardware from scratch)
> rather than spec violations by the manufacturer.

I guess it depends on if you're talking about hardware that's part of the
motherboard or add-on parts, and whether it's "does not resume" or "resumes,
but this piece goes wonky".  For example, sound working before suspend but not
after resume is often the BIOS's fault (and then we put quirks in the kernel
to teach it that this BIOS is just plain wrong and that the right things to do
are x, y, and z).

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo