What's wrong with Ubuntu's policy?

Markus Hitter mah at jump-ing.de
Thu May 21 12:16:21 UTC 2009

Am 21.05.2009 um 13:44 schrieb Martin Owens:

> Although part of me also feels that we haven't yet reached the
> maturity
> with a number of key foundation systems to really be sure about
> deployment longevity. (i,e xorg, [...]

Well, xorg is based on (or part of) X, which is about 20 years old. X
was considered to be "mature" for some time, and severly behind a few
years later. Do you really think there is something like a "maturity"
which can be reached? If not after 20 years, how long does it take?
30 years, 50 years? Similar facts apply for the other packages you
mentioned.

My strong feeling is, reaching maturity is almost like stopping
development, which shouldn't happen. It looks like the key to success
is to reach a good user experience in constant development, without
ever reaching "task done".

Am 21.05.2009 um 13:12 schrieb Peteris Krisjanis:

> People already use gizillions of PPA reps and backport packages to get
> what they need.

Yes, I use PPAs and self-compiled versions as well. Some newer
packages run more stable, give a better experience (and sometimes new
features). As far as I can tell, Ubuntu disencourages using versions
other than the distribution provided ones. Is this in fear of the
dependency hell? Obviously, switching versions works well for many
people.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/