Need advice on versioning scheme for project in Ubuntu

Andrew a.starr.b at gmail.com
Fri May 8 20:46:44 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Francesco Fumanti
<francesco.fumanti at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> Could anybody please give me any advice about how to handle the
> versioning of a project hosted on launchpad with the aim to match the
> Ubuntu release schedule?
>
> The help pages of launchpad suggest to keep the front of developing in
> trunk. On the other hand, I suppose that it is advisable to have a
> series for each Ubuntu release (hardy, jaunty, karmic,...) for potential
> bug fixes after the ubuntu release has gone final.

[snip]

> Could anybody please tell me or point me to instructions about how this
> problem is usually approached?

There's many ways to go about it. The suggestion on LP is just that, a
suggestion. Feel free to use what ever system works best for you. That
said, a common way to work is to do development in trunk. Once you are
getting ready to release, you can branch the release series from
trunk. Then you make no more major changes or additional features on
that branch. You can release stable point releases from that branch,
cherry-picking only bug fixes from trunk.

- Andrew