Need advice on versioning scheme for project in Ubuntu

Francesco Fumanti francesco.fumanti at gmx.net
Fri May 8 19:42:42 UTC 2009

Hello,

Could anybody please give me any advice about how to handle the
versioning of a project hosted on launchpad with the aim to match the
Ubuntu release schedule?

The help pages of launchpad suggest to keep the front of developing in
trunk. On the other hand, I suppose that it is advisable to have a
series for each Ubuntu release (hardy, jaunty, karmic,...) for potential
bug fixes after the ubuntu release has gone final.

Let's suppose that 0.92 is the version of the project that should
correspond to the karmic cycle.

My problem: If the development takes place in trunk, how can I publish
tarballs from the 0.92 series during the development cycle of karmic?
(I think that it is odd to develop in trunk and publish the releases in
the 0.92 series.)

Could anybody please tell me or point me to instructions about how this
problem is usually approached?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Francesco